Thursday, May 09, 2019

Dregs of the middle class

So said Australian Opposition leader, Bill Shorten, in his debate last night with Prime Minister, Scott Morrison. How noble it all sounds. The problem is that on the current trajectory that much of the English speaking world is heading on, following the wrong faith, or a particular expression of that faith, will hinder rather than help your life chances in Australia. I have a long memory. During the same sex marriage debate a couple of years ago, he explicitly labelled anyone who didn't support implementing gay marriage as “far right.” When he said that, he permanently alienated me from his party.

On top of that, at their campaign launch last Sunday, Senator Penny Wong described conservative politicians as "small men with small ideas." What a loaded statement. Once you get past the latent misandry in it, this is what it also implies. I am not a Liberal, but as a conservative male, by association, this implies that I am also a small man with small ideas.

I tune out whenever I hear Labor platitudes about equity and fairness. You do not represent my aspirations or values, nor do they matter to you. You arrogantly believe that you are wiser and more compassionate and tolerant than people like me. Furthermore, your campaign rhetoric makes it clear that you regard people like me as pariahs who have no place in modern Australia. I am a political conservative. I believe in traditional marriage between a man and a woman. I do not believe in state sponsored radical gender theory. I do not believe in identity politics. I do not believe in making Australia a geographically designated safe space, in which only correct opinions and ideas are allowed to be expressed and disseminated. I do not believe that enacting heavy handed legislation to regulate peoples’ lives is the answer to every social problem.

In Labor's Australia, my religious beliefs, and any opinions I have that are influenced by these beliefs will not be welcome. I will be expected to pay my taxes, keep quiet, and do as the government tells me, just being a compliant citizen. More than ever, I am becoming increasingly aware that this world is not my true home (Philippians 3:20, Hebrews 13:14, 1 Peter 5:10).

In a spiritual sense, I am a stateless person. This is part and parcel of living in an aggressively post-Christian Australia.

No comments: