Monday, January 18, 2021

Bottom of my to do list


I don't go out of the way to watch Brad Pitt movies. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford was released in 2007, but I only got around to watching it recently on Netflix. 
My knowledge of the Western outlaw Jesse James and his criminal exploits is sketchy at best. I remember that the American documentary series In Search Of..., hosted by Leonard Nimoy, and a Sunday afternoon staple on Australian television for many years in the late 1970s and early 1980s, did an episode about his death. Cher sung a song about him in 1989. He may have been mentioned in passing when I studied American history at university. 

Most notably, in an episode of The Brady Bunch, Bobby Brady went through a phase of being obsessed with him, seeing the error of his ways after his father arranges for him to meet the author of a book who wrote an account of James killing his father when he was a child, and then has a nightmare in which James shoots and kills the entire Brady family. 

Bobby awakes from the dream a changed boy, and another Brady family crisis is averted within 30 minutes of running time.

No comments: