Saturday, December 31, 2016

Sports casual

I received the new Alan Partridge book, Alan Partridge: Nomad, as a Christmas gift. Before I read it, I decided to firstly revisit his previous book, the parody autobiography, I, Partridge: We Need to Talk About Alan. 

I didn't read it again. I listened to the unabridged audiobook version, read by Steve Coogan, in character as Alan Partridge.

What detracted from my enjoyment of the book? It's not for casual fans. It assumes that the reader has either seen or heard Partridge's previous appearances on television and radio. If you haven't, then you might find the book hard to follow. It also frequently mentions both real and fictitious British celebrities. I needed to stop reading, and look up their names to see who they were.

Other readers who live outside the UK might find that they have the same problem.

No comments: