Monday, April 11, 2016

I am

The other day I was reading the story of Jesus healing a demon-possessed man in Luke's gospel (8:26-39). This is a story that I thought I was familiar with, but there was one detail I'd never noticed before.

After the man was healed, he wanted to be with Jesus, but he commanded him to return to his home town, and tell everyone how much God had done for him. Luke writes that, "he went away, proclaiming throughout the whole city how much Jesus had done for him." 

The detail I noticed was that Luke uses these parallel statements to indicate that God and Jesus are equal in status. Jesus is God. Knowing this gives me more reverence for Jesus. I have to take him seriously. Just like the man in this story, I also have an obligation to tell others what he has done for me. 

No comments: