Thursday, August 06, 2009

Worst of the web

In my line of work one occasionally comes across websites that I could not in good conscience recommend to anyone as a reliable source of information. One of these is speedylook.com. The information is arranged by subject area, but sourced from the French language version of Wikipedia, and translated into English. The problem is that the translation is so poor that it looks like it was done using Yahoo's Babelfish utility. Either that or it was done by Officer Crabtree from the British comedy series 'Allo 'Allo. Any student who uses this website as a reference in a paper should be given an automatic fail.

3 comments:

feeno said...

I know this is off topic but just wanted to come by and say hi and say thanks for the kind words over at Debunking Christianity. I don't know much about Australia except like most folks what we've seen on Crocodile Dundee or from Steve Irwin.
But my daughter spent about 10 days in Brisbane at a local church there helping with some mission work.

My daughter did bring back a couple of jars of something called veggie mite? I don't know what it is, but it works great for sticking tile to the floor.

Dueces, feeno

Nerida said...

Hahaha, the translation sure is bad! Reminds me of the instructions for my husband's remote controlled helicopter; the English is almost indecipherable. But back to SpeedyLook, the fact that the first thing I saw was a large ad for "single chat" and a woman in a bikini, suggests it is not a seriously informative site!

Ross said...

Thanks for visiting, Feeno. It pays to be discerning when dialoguing with atheists. I try to be upfront and honest about my beliefs without antagonising people.

I've met a few of your countrymen and women over here. They were mostly college students on an exchange program. We tell them that Vegemite is an acquired taste, and best eaten in small quantities. It's pretty good on toast, or in a salad sandwich with cheese.