Friday, February 23, 2018

Tested by fire

I am not from a Christian tradition that observes feast days. However, today is the feast day of Polycarp of Smyrna (69-155). Tradition holds that Polycarp was discipled by the apostle John. He was one of the early church fathers. He was arrested during a persecution, and the Roman proconsul of Smyrna attempted to persuade him to renounce Christ in order to spare his life.

Polycarp refused to do this, and before being executed, is believed to have said to the proconsul, "Eighty-six years I have been his servant, and he has done me no wrong. How can I blaspheme my king who saved me?”

Hypothetically, if I was in similar circumstances, of having the choice between renouncing my faith, or being killed, would I show the same boldness as Polycarp?

No comments: