Friday, July 03, 2015

Well and truly over the rainbow

In the wake of last week's momentous US Supreme Court ruling legalizing same sex marriage across the United States, several of my Christian friends expressed their support for it by superimposing a rainbow flag, the symbol of the gay rights movement, over their social media profile pictures.

Pastor Kevin DeYoung of the Gospel Coalition, has written 40 questions that are addressed to Christians who support same sex marriage. I'd also like to put these questions to my friends. To this list I would also ask them how they would define the noun Arsenokoitai, used by the apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 6:9 and 1 Timothy 1:10.

As I reflect on what scripture says as a whole about marriage and sexuality, it seems to me that any Christian who wants to honour God with how they express their sexuality has only two options. They either marry one spouse of the opposite sex, or stay celibate. I do not see how there is another option, unless I have that wrong.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/kevindeyoung/2015/07/01/40-questions-for-christians-now-waving-rainbow-flags/

http://biblehub.com/greek/733.htm

No comments: