Thursday, October 11, 2012

Taking it to the streets

Unless you have a cold and hardened heart towards spiritual things, one cannot fail to be moved by the Psalms. Today we looked at Psalm 139 in our weekly staff devotional time at work. Authorship of Psalm 139 is attributed to King David. Verses 13 to 16 read as follows: 

For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.

This weekend I plan to attend the fourth annual March for the Babies in Melbourne. My home state of Victoria has some of the most liberal abortion laws in the world, with abortions now permitted up to the ninth month of pregnancy. It is estimated that 20,000 abortions are performed in Victoria every year. That equates to one in three pregnancies ending in abortion. 

In their context these verses have nothing to do with the abortion issue. Reflecting on his relationship with God, David marvels that God knows everything about us, we are always on God's mind, and there is nothing about us that we can hide from Him. The abortoin issue sprang to mind when I read them. Simply put, the implication of these verses is that every human life is precious in God's eyes, even before birth. This has complex ethical implications, but beginning in the womb at the moment of conception, and the formation of the embryo that gradually develops into a foetus during the gestation period, it is the hand of God that guides the processes that makes each human being unique. Because of abortion, millions of lives have been snuffed out and the potential and purpose that God implanted in them has been lost the the world forever before they even had a chance of life.

When I march on Saturday, it will not be to personally condemn or attack anybody who has ever had an abortion, or to pick a bone with any pro-choice activists, who will also be holding their own rally. I will simply be making a peaceful statement against what I consider to be an unjust and evil law.

No comments: