Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What a combination

I took this quiz to find out what my political views are. I don't know how scientific it is, but apparently I am a left social authoritarian.

The results may be slightly skewed because some of the questions were about American political issues. Nevertheless I feel quite strongly about the rights of workers to earn a decent living, and that all people should have access to affordable health care and education, regardless of their socio-economic status. I wouldn't call myself a Greenie, but believe in the principle of good environmental stewardship, and governments have a role in this area. The global financial crisis showed us what happens when you have blind faith in the free market, so I believe that it is appropriate and necessary to have some government regulation of the economy. I was also opposed to the privatisation of public utilities that federal and state governments undertook during the 1990s.

What makes me a social authoritarian? It must be because of my conservative views on the usual grab bag of issues such as abortion, same sex marriage, euthanasia or physician assisted suicide, and am concerned about the apparent lack of respect for authority that some young people have. A case in point here is a train station in my neighbourhood that has a reputation for being a notorious trouble spot, with numerous incidents of theft, assault, and vandalism. Government social policy should be informed by a moral framework. As a Christian, my idea of what constitutes morality is different from those of other mindsets. Morality is not just a private matter. When people do as they please, there are often consequences that impact society as a whole. Somehow a balance must be achieved between individual rights and what is best for society.

My Political Views
I am a left social authoritarian
Left: 4.82, Authoritarian: 3.53

Political Spectrum Quiz

1 comment:

J Curtis said...

Interesting Ross.

I wound up a bit to the right of you. I didn't care for how some of the questions were worded. Seemed a bit vague.

I'll probably make an entry out of this.