Thursday, February 15, 2007

Matters of the heart

According to a survey conducted by British travel website wotif.com, new James Bond actor Daniel Craig is among womens' top ten Valentine's Day dream dates. So, women evidently have a thing for craggy looking, deep voiced men in their thirties? There's hope for me yet. I've never seen the point of Valentine's Day myself. The cynic in me says that it's contrived by the retail industry to fill a flat spot in their calendar. According to that well known source of reliable information, Wikipedia, it originated as a pagan holiday in ancient Rome, and is also significant as the day on which the St. Valentine's Day Massacre occurred in 1929 in Chicago.

If you're married or otherwise attached, why is there is a need to have one day out of the entire year where you express your feelings for your significant other by buying them things? Since when has love become a commodity, exploited for commercial gain? Surely love can be expressed throughout the year, in a multitude of ways, I would have thought. Then again, what would I know?

7 comments:

Kitty Cheng said...

I see where you are coming from regarding Valentine's Day Ross. Surely we can express love any day of the year, not just on 14 Feb. But then again I think one of the ways is certainly gift giving (apart from the other 4 love languages according to Gary Chapman), so I don't see why commercial gain or retail industry can't be used as a way of expressing that love - in fact, not just on valentine's day, but anyday ;)

Ross said...

Kitty, I agree. In fact, I was referring to Gary Chapman's five love languages when stating that there's other ways for love to be expressed apart from giving flowers, cards, or chocolates, as is the custom on February 14th.

Kathy said...

I think that 'traditions' are very nice to help break up the everyday, and to provide a prompt for those of us who might be romantically challenged. So I say... bring on Valentine's Day :-)

Kathy said...

Oh, and Daniel Craig as one of my top ten dream dates?? I don't think so ;-)

Ross said...

Yes, it appears that physical attractiveness (or otherwise) is very much a subjective thing. To anyone lacking romance in their life, I'd suggest reading Mills and Boon novels, or alternatively, listening to an Engelbert Humperdinck CD.

Kitty Cheng said...

So what are Mills and Boon's novels about? And who is Engelbert Humperdinck? What have you learned from them Ross hehe?

Ross said...

Mills and Boon publish tacky romance novels. They get sold at supermarkets and Kmart stores. Thankfully I've never had the misfortune to read one. Engelbert Humperdinck is a famous British singer. Because of the treacly ballads, he sings, he is known as the "king of romance."

What have I learned from them? Nothing. I prefer Air Supply.